Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 28, 2009: Musical Themes

Thom sent us a quick e-mail relaying the profound impact that pop music has on society as a whole, evident in the response to the death of Michael Jackson. All around the world news stations, music channels, radio stations, internet sites and several other mediums covered the news of this tragedy and paid their own tributes to the icon in their own ways. Indeed pop music has influenced many arenas of our every day lives, at times dictating entire events that we may experience.

As I went through the list of musical themes on Wikipedia, the first theme that stuck out to me was “instructional dance songs”. I don’t think one social gathering from the time I can remember until just yesterday at my sister’s high school graduation party, passed without music being played. And almost always, there was someone doing some dace that went to some song that was being played. Yesterday the kids were trying to show the big people how to do the “stanky leg”, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mf2KL0sV98). My cousin was also on his i-phone youtubing how to do the “booty dew” a new dance that none of us knew how to do yet, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCvtLFMzm4&feature=related). These instructional dances make up much of my memories with family and friends. I am sure that some other activity would replace these dances if not for them. However, as it stands, I owe much of the fond memories I have to them, embarrassing as some of these memories may be.

My family and friends aside, these instructional dance songs likely characterize many important events in general. Imagine a wedding reception without the electric slide or the chicken dance. What would roller skating be without people falling flat trying to do the hokey pokey and turn themselves about, or having hands extending in the air doing the Y.M.C.A.? These songs liven up events and give people permission to act silly without worrying about how they will look because everyone else looks just as silly as they do. On the other hand though, these instructional dances can be quite embarrassing if they call for difficult moves that not everyone can do. For example, Wikipedia lists “Walk it Out” as one instructional dance. A friend of mine was trying to do this a couple weekends ago at a bar and was laughed at by some bystanders because she was doing all wrong in the moves. We laughed it off, but I could tell she was embarrassed. I have attempted another dance Wikipedia lists, “Dip it Low”. Tragically, I met the same fate as my friend. Not everyone looks good doing all dances. This is why I hope I never try to do the “Booty Dew” among other reasons. I should maybe stick to the cupid shuffle.

A theme that was amazingly not included in Wikipedia’s list was love songs. There was a love triangle theme, but that did not contain any songs I would have expected to be in the list. Love songs could and possible does have an entire site to itself. There could be heartache songs, yearning for love songs, falling in love songs, getting married songs, love for your parents, siblings, children, etc.. songs, or any other number of songs in this category. The impact and presence of these songs in people’s lives has undoubtedly been tremendous and the category should definitely not be missing on this page. There is probably not one wedding performed according to customs of the United States without a love song devoted to the couple, I would guess. (Although my mom’s wedding song with my step-dad was “In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins for one reason or another). Funerals usually involve some song thinking back to the love for or of a loved one. Many couples have “their song” that is usually a love song characterizing their feelings for each other.

Whatever the occasion may be, when music is present the event is likely transformed and takes on new meaning. When music that the people enjoy and touches people either to be inspired or to simply dance, memories are likely created that may otherwise may be missed. As I think back to special events in my life, I remember them much more vividly if music is present. Music has brought enjoyment and at many times, meaning to much of my past, in a way defining who I am today.

1 comment:

  1. Alycia,

    I know we talked about this briefly in our chat, but you definitely bring up interesting points about instructional dance songs! Like Lil Kim versus Lesley Gore, wouldn't it be interesting for students to see the evolution of dance through music? I mean, songs that literally tell you how to act, and how that reflects society's perceptions of what is appropriate? For example, "Twist and Shout" or "Mashed Potato Time" to "YMCA" to "Macarena" to "Cha Cha Slide" to "Get Low" and "Stanky Leg"??? It's the same thing as far as images/videos in my mind. You've definitely got me to start thinking, thanks!

    ReplyDelete